The first African American to become the President of United States, Barack Obama was the 44th President to hold the office. Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about this Granny winner:
1. He is bi-racial
He’s bi-racial with a white mother and African father from Kenya. His parents met in 1960 in a Russian class at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, where his father was a foreign student on scholarship.
2. His parents separated when Barack was two years old.
3. The name “Barack” means “one who is blessed” in Swahili.
4. His nickname was O’Bomber for his skill at basketball
Obama’s favorite sport is basketball. He is the most basketball-crazed U.S. president you would’ve ever seen. His 6’1 ½ height adds him an advantage on the basketball court.
5. He is the sixth post-war president to be left-handed.
6. In his teens, he experimented with drugs including marijuana & cocaine.
7. Barack can speak Indonesian and some Spanish.
8. He worked at Baskin-Robbins as a teenager.
9. Obama once said the three men he admired the most were Mahatma Gandhi, Abraham Lincoln, and Martin Luther King, Jr.
10. He carries a tiny Madonna and child statue and a bracelet belonging to a soldier in Iraq for good luck.